Stephen J. Lombardo
Departments of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and Chemical Engineering
University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211
(Phone: 573 884-1644, Fax: 573 884-4940, E-mail: lombardoS@missouri.edu)
SUMMARY OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 1997-09 University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- 1996-97 CeraMem Corporation, Waltham, MA
- 1992-96 St. Gobain Corporation, Northboro, MA
- 1991-92 Fritz-Haber Institute of the Max-Planck Society, Berlin, Germany
- 1985-90 Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- 1983-85 Norton Corporation, Worcester, MA
- 1979-83 B.S. Chemical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA
- 2003-present University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- Professor in Chemical and Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering:
- Research areas in the science and processing of ceramic materials for structural, membrane, and electronic applications. Experimental and modeling programs in powder synthesis, slip casting, thermal binder removal, supercritical extraction of binder, sintering, high temperature chemistry, electrical properties, and transport phenomena in ceramic processing.
- 1997-2003 University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- Assistant Professor in Chemical Engineering
Honors and Awards
- College of Engineering Faculty Fellowship, (2003-2009)
- Outstanding Poster Award with Graduate Student Chang Soo Kim, Korean Students Association, University of Missouri, (2005)
- University of Missouri College of Engineering Teaching Award, (2002)
- “Non-Oxidative Tooth Whiteners for Dentifrice Application,” (U.S. Patent No. 11/285,769, filed on 11/22/05)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Ceramic Society
Journal Referee for
- Journal of the American Ceramic Society
- Journal of Supercritical Fluids
- Journal of Materials Research
- Advances in Applied Materials
- Advances in Applied Ceramics
- Materials Chemistry and Physics
- Material Science & Engineering A
- Journal of the European Ceramic Society
- Polymer Engineering and Science
- Chemical Engineering Science
- Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology
- Chemical Engineering Education
Proposal Referee for
- National Science Foundation
- Petroleum Research Fund
- University of Missouri Research Board
- MU Alumni Association
- MU Research Council
- Editorial Board, Advance in Applied Ceramics, 2009-2012
- Ch.E. 3261 Thermodynamics I
- Ch.E. 3242 Principles of Process Measurement Lab (sometimes Writing Intensive)
- Ch.E. 4321/7321 Introduction to Ceramics
- Ch.E. 4370 Process Dynamics and Control
- Ch.E. 8001 Advanced Ceramic Materials (Graduate)
- Ch.E. 8001 Properties and Characterization of Ceramic Materials (Graduate)
- MAE 4231/7231 Transport Phenomena and Materials Processing
- 1991-1992 Fritz-Haber Institute of the Max-Planck Society, Berlin, Germany
- Department of Physical Chemistry. Characterized adsorbates, catalyst surfaces, and surface reactions by mass spectrometry and low energy electron diffraction under ultra high vacuum. Modeled non-linear phenomena of oscillating surface reactions for improving selectivity between competing reactions.
- 1985-1990 Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- Research Advisor: Alexis T. Bell. Experimental and modeling studies of adsorbate interactions with surfaces including adsorption, desorption, surface diffusion, and surface reaction.
- Received Graduate Student Outstanding TA Award.
- 1979-1983 B.S. Chemical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA Graduated with Distinction
- Tau Beta Pi
- Phi Lambda Upsilon
- Chevron Scholarship
- Junior-year exchange student to Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1996-1997 CeraMem Corporation, Waltham, MA
- Research Group Leader. Proposal and execution of government-funded research projects covering the development of novel functionally-graded ceramic materials for use as high-temperature seals. Program Manager on contracts for developing ceramic and polymer membranes and new membrane processes for microfiltration, pervaporation, and gas separation.
- 1992-1996 St. Gobain Corporation, Northboro, MA
- Worldwide manufacturer ($20B) of ceramics, abrasives, and materials.
- Research Associate, Crystar Diffusion Components 1995-1996
- Provide R&D management ($1.2MM budget) for business supplying recrystallized silicon carbide diffusion components to semiconductor industry.
- Group Leader, Ceramic Processing Group, Northboro R&D Center 1994-1995
- Managed R&D group providing corporate-wide processing and materials services to business units. Full P&L and planning responsibility. Program manager and principal investigator on $1.2M government contract “Ceramic Solid Free Form Technology” using photo-gel polymers. Experience in forming techniques.
- Senior Research Engineer, Ceramic Processing Group, Northboro R&D 1992-1993
- Provided processing and characterization of ceramic materials. Principal investigator on government contract for “Reliable Ceramic Processing.”
- 1983-1985 Norton Company, Worcester, MA.
- $1.2B worldwide manufacturer of ceramics, abrasives, and materials
- Research Engineer, High Performance Ceramics, Worcester, MA
- Powder processing, sintering, and characterization of non-oxide ceramics. Successful transfer of glass encapsulation hot isostatic pressing technology from Swedish company leading to a $7M new ceramic bearing business.