Green Tea & Lecture
Saturday, March 19, 2016
The Green Tea has become an integral part of the University of Missouri Engineers’ Week activities since it began in 1919. It was at this time that Mrs. Hurty, an engineering librarian, instituted the tea which was first held in the Engineering Library. Starting in 1950, the engineering faculty’s wives took charge of the tea, and in 1953 they helped celebrate the 50th anniversary of E-Week by completing the shamrock tablecloth. In 1965 the wife of President Elmer Ellis asked that the tea be held in the President’s home and was held there for many years. In more recent years the tea has been organized by the Society of Women Engineers so that the women in engineering may be recognized for their accomplishments.